For the past 150 years of its existence, BEFANA – Bydgoszcz Tool Factory has been developing under many social and economic orders that swept Poland. The factory\'s history goes back to mid-19th century when first craft-and-industrial teams were formed in Bydgoszcz. What later became our factory was one of such crafts\' teams which, from 1852, was employed in the production of mangles. Three years later it evolved into a big factory situated at Wojska Polskiego Street No 65, which is still our factory\'s main site. Our factory\'s production was then centred mainly on steam boilers, narrow-gauge steam locomotives and ship\'s accessories and machinery.
In 1915, our factory was taken over by Polish company Granogsa and Kozłowski. The company\'s profile was changed into the tools sector: \"black tools\" (i.e. forged tools) and files.
In 1923 the factory was annotated as Bydgoszcz Factory of Files and Tools. It produced a wide assortment of files in great range of sizes and of varied purpose. Most of them was labelled as \"extra quality.\"
Thanks to a series of modernisation processes that followed in the years 1927-1939, BEFANA became the biggest producer of files in Poland. It was awarded many medals at national and international fairs (1927 – Grand Prix in Paris; 1929 – a medal at National Fairs in Poznań). Due to high quality of the products, BEFANA had its own maker\'s trade-mark registered. In the inter-war period, the factory produced, besides files, also a range of forged tools (hammers, pincer pliers, etc.) whose majority was aimed at the needs of agricultural market (anvils for scythes, knives for sugar-beet cutters, etc.).
During World War II the factory\'s German administration set the production for the army use only. Only on February 14th, 1945, after the liberation of Bydgoszcz, the factory re-started its normal production.
After the war, the range of products was expanded and in the 1950s needle files, and in the 1960s special tools, such as molds for plastic and punching and press forming dies, were added to the already existing variety. The production of special tools was growing steadily. This led in 1973 to the separation of one of the modern technology branches from BEFANA and the foundation of FORMET – Factory of Metal Forms. In 1978, BEFANA started the production of diamond tools. In the 1980s further expansion of production range followed. BEFANA introduced rasps and milled tooth files which had not been produced in Poland before.
An important date for our 150-years-old factory constitutes 1 October 1989. This is when BEFANA was transformed into a joint venture company.
BEFANA puts great importance to high quality of products, complying with all the agreements of contracts, keeping up with the changing market and fulfilling the needs of the Polish market. This is why our assortment has been constantly expanding (in 1989 there were 600 items, currently there are over 7000 items).